For the first time, we are bringing virtual instructor-led expertise to your office through the synergy of multi-disciplinary trainers’ knowledge that has only been delivered at conferences. Three trainers (Project Owner, Consultant and Contractor) will share their perspectives and expertise. And it gets better! In the past, conference presentations have been focused on a one-way exchange of know-how from the speakers to you. This course moves beyond that one-way exchange to allow you to apply what you have learned and provides the opportunity for participants to ask questions and tap into the extensive real-life experience and expertise of the diversity of our accomplished trainers.
Innovation, Performance and Trust are the Cornerstones for Design-Build. From the Project Owner creating their Statement of Requirements, to the Consultants understanding their unique roles, to the Contractor developing and implementing practices to optimize Design Build performance, all partners need to grasp the differences of the Design-Build Delivery Method.
This Workshop covers the unique contractual conditions when a Project Owner employs this Project Delivery Method and essential insights for improving your chances of success with Design Build. We will focus on the crucial clauses in the CCDC 14 + 15 contracts and the fundamental elements of Design-Build for project success. Delivered by a training team of ICI practitioners, you will gain insight into the technical skills, as well as the challenges and opportunities from each partners’ perspective, making this Workshop the “sharp arrow you need in your quiver.”
“Learning from your own mistakes is EXPERIENCE: Learning from the mistakes of others is WISDOM. Come and experience both the experience and wisdom of your trainers.”
This course is worth 2 Gold Seal Credits
With decades of experience, the project partners (Owner, Consultant, and Contractor) will, from their perspectives, assist you to:
- Gain an understanding of the Design Build process
- Recognize when to use Design Build as a Project Delivery Method
- Learn how to improve your chances of project success with Design Build
- Understand the Project Owner’s Initial Action Items
- Determine how to procure and evaluate Design Build services
- Learn the roles and responsibilities of each partner for team success
- Become familiar with best practices to optimize Design Build performance
- Understand the key clauses in CCDC 14 & 15
- Learn the key elements to focus on for project success
- Acquire critical insights into the challenges and opportunities with the Design Build Delivery Method
- Learn the key drivers to developing a Design Build organization
“This course is fast based with tons of information. Very informative and important for anyone in the construction industry to take this course. All trainers have many years of experience and know what they are talking about. Knowledge is power and in construction there is a lot we should be talking about!”
CCA Member $649 (+GST) Non-Member $849 (+GST)
It is recommended that students have some experience in a construction/contract management role and/or have familiarity with contract language, format, and usage. Those with less experience are welcome to attend but may find it hard to absorb and appreciate the material without prior experience or context.
Understanding the keys to success for Design Build is important for all industry partners! This course is most applicable to mid to upper management personnel who will actively be working on Design Build projects and administering the contracts, including:
- General Contractors and Subcontractors:
- Construction Company Owners/Managers
- Project Managers
- Commercial Managers
- Business Development Managers
- Project Owners – Public and Private (including procurement personnel)
- Third-party Project Managers (for the Project Owner)
- Architects and Engineers
- Bonding and Insurance Specialists
This course is delivered in partnership between your local construction association and other associations throughout Western Canada. You’ll be participating in a cohort with industry peers from across these regions.
- Live, Online, Instructor-led training, with a maximum class size of 25 students.
- This workshop is facilitated on the Zoom platform. Access information from the instructor will be provided to you in advance of the orientation and training.
- Orientation Session (30 minutes)
- Three half day sessions (3 ½ hours each) over 3 days
- The course curriculum is very extensive and requires a commitment by each participant to come prepared having read the written material circulated in advance of the course date. The pre-reading is essential to allow each participant to optimize his/her learning and to keep pace with the flow of the session in order for each individual to acquire a strong foundation of the subject matter.
- Attendance and participation in all three workshop sessions is mandatory for workshop completion. *Please note that If a student misses a class session, we are unable to transfer registration or provide a partial refund of the registration fees.
This workshop requires full face-to-face interaction and participation from both the instructor and students. In order to attend, you must make sure you have the following:
- Computer or laptop with webcam (webcams are mandatory): This workshop will involve 100% on-screen interaction with your instructor and classmates, reading/viewing on-screen content like slides or videos, and interacting via typing with questions or responses. For this reason, you must have a webcam and use a full computer/laptop, and we do not permit students to attend using a tablet or cell phone.
- A quiet space with minimal distractions: Please plan to be fully engaged in the class, and clear your work schedule just as you would for attendance in an in-class program.
- Group attendance via one paid registration is not permitted. Every person able to see, hear, and observe the virtual course sessions must be a paid participant.
- Use of virtual backgrounds is not permitted.
Payment is non-refundable for cancellations made within 5 business days of the course, or non-attendance on the day. Complimentary substitution of another member of your company is accepted. If CCA has to postpone or cancel courses due to insufficient enrolment, CCA will refund the registration fee or, if possible, the attendee may choose to move to an identical session in the future. Unless otherwise stated, every person able to see, hear, and observe the virtual course sessions must be a paid participant. Non-compliance of this requirement will result in removal from course. Refunds will not be issued to students who are removed from the course for non-compliance of this requirement.
CANADA – ALBERTA JOB GRANT
Did you know!! Eligible employers can get government funding to help employees access training opportunities. The Canada-Alberta Job Grant will give you up to 2/3 of the registration fee (up to $10,000/employee/fiscal year) for training. Whether taking one course or a combination of courses, the total training must be a minimum of 21 hours and be completed within 52 weeks.